Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sign Redux

Continuing with another project with materials on hand...we've had this mass produced Beaujolais sign for a while that came over from my boyfriend's house when we moved.  Not so great looking, it provided a great base for something more personal to our family as it has routed edges and slot on the back for hanging.
These can sometimes be found in thrift stores or a scrap piece of lumber would work.  Using a paint and primer in one, it got two coats of white paint.  While the paint was still wet, I wiped off the edges with a damp paper towel to reveal the dark border of the original print.  Once dry I also lightly sanded the edges as well.  A bit of black, brown, and burnt sienna paint to the edges, applied with a damp paper towel, help further define the edges.

I painted 'No. 23' as 23 is a meaningful number for us.  It is my birth day, my nephew's birth day, Michael Jordan's number, the list goes on!  Once dry, I sanded the front to distress the newly painted black letters.
Super simple and I love it added to our eclectic wall in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment