Sunday, January 20, 2013

Men's Vest



~Men’s Wool Vest~


Listening to Florence + the Machine Ceremonials

 


I just adore a man in a slim fit tweed or wool vest.  Especially with a bit of a beard – YUM.  So, of course, I had to get my boyfriend, David, in one!  I used this project to get more experience lining clothes, making buttonholes, and adjusting patterns using a muslin. 
 

I started with Simplicity Pattern #2741.  This is for a more classic, slightly boxy vest.  David has broad shoulders and chest but a slender waist so I knew it wasn’t really the fit we wanted. 
I used the pattern to make a muslin which I fitted to David, lengthening the front darts and taking in the sides so it tapered into the waist. We also didn't add in the welts as David thought they were too traditional and he likes a cleaner look.
 
The fabric is an Italian wool in a soft charcoal gray.  I used black cotton sateen for the lining.
  
David picked out great metal buttons.  They look like hammered, aged steel.  I am really pleased with the fit and am now a devotee of making a muslin first!  


I watched and read a bunch of how-tos online and in books on making buttonholes.  One tip I didn't see was using a pin as sort of a door stop for the ripper when cutting open the buttonhole after binding.  This way, if the ripper gets away from you, it won't slice through the buttonhole stitching.
Align the pin right at the edge of the buttonhole stitching, so as not to cut into the stitching

The ripper will come up against the pin, protecting the buttonhole stitching
 Here's David modeling the finished vest. 
Isn't he cute!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment